A Morning of Mindful Choices: Embracing Health and Wellness

By, Lenin Silva

This morning started like many others; I woke up and got out of bed. Today, though, something was different. I didn't reach for the distractions and escapes that once defined my mornings. Instead, I made a conscious choice.

My dad and I went on a walk, a simple act filled with intention. We headed toward one of our usual breakfast spots – a supermarket with a little restaurant counter inside. I even packed snacks – corn tortilla chips and chicharrones – a testament to my newfound awareness of planning healthier habits.

We arrived a bit too early for the juice bar, but I wasn't discouraged. I pivoted, opting for a few kombuchas instead. We sat down, savoring our guacamole and chips, enjoying the simple pleasure of shared time.

After breakfast, the gym across the street beckoned. I spent some time in the steam room, then worked on strength training. For less than an hour, I moved my body with focus and care. Leaving the gym, I felt a familiar satisfaction, the kind that comes from choosing well for myself. After all, the distinction between 'good' and 'bad' choices took me years to truly understand.

On our walk, headed for another store to grab salads and juices, something unexpected happened. I spotted a childhood friend working behind the counter. A wave of recognition hit me, along with a familiar twinge of hesitation. "Should I say hi?" Part of me feared interrupting them, yet a deeper part whispered, "Maybe next time."

As I left the store, my dad waiting just outside, I reflected on the moment. We began walking home, and a sense of clarity emerged. Choices define our days, sometimes big and obvious, sometimes quiet and internal.

Now I'm here, settled back into my house, enjoying my salad and fresh juice. My mind contemplates the morning's events and the path ahead. The urge to start writing is powerful; to begin researching Aaron Beck, cognitive behavioral therapy, those insidious cognitive distortions we humans succumb to. It's a journey I want to share, piece by piece, as I uncover the wisdom of Beck's work.

So, this is me – February 16th, 2024, around 2:00 p.m. in the Coachella Valley. Grateful for the simple joys and for the relentless call toward growth. Thank you for being part of this journey. Keep an eye out; that Aaron Beck article is coming soon – probably even today.

Comments