Day Five: Tears, Strength, and the Path Home

By, Lenin Silva

Today, on day five of my healing journey, I woke up with a need to cry. It wasn't a desperate cry, but a release. With music in my ears, the tears flowed freely, a cleansing flood of pent-up emotions. My heart filled with gratitude for the friend who's helped me reach this point – the point where I'm ready to leave the old, broken me behind. Addiction and depression had stolen my joy, my career, my relationships – they stole my very self. But as I work with honesty and faith, a path seems to unfold before me, leading me back to who I truly am.

My morning walk with Dad brought renewed clarity. Later, in the gym's steam room, I contemplated a movie we'd watched about a soccer team who lost 31-0. Their next goal was simple: score once to qualify. Sometimes, like that team, our focus shouldn't be on winning, but on authentic progress. Authentic art is the same – it isn't competitive, it's reflective. It mirrors the artist's experiences, offering them back to the world in a fresh way.

Journaling continues to be powerful. Reading what I write helps me understand my thoughts and actions. This is the first step toward self-awareness, and this journey isn't a race or about profit. It's about listening deeply to my core self, finding my way back home. It's not easy, but it's getting easier each day. There's happiness here, even within the suffering. I'm embracing this duality of life, understanding that pain and joy coexist to offer depth to our experiences.

Vulnerability becomes strength on this journey, allowing me to welcome life's highs and lows. I am not defined by past struggles with addiction and depression– they are lessons propelling me toward growth. Each day offers possibilities. Whether it's my dad's company on a walk or pondering a film's message, life reminds me that its struggles make us stronger. The love of friends and family fuels me.

The days ahead will hold a mix of hope and challenge. Setbacks are part of any journey, but I have the strength and support to keep moving forward. This is about resilience, connection, and the endless possibilities of becoming whole again. I'm committed to becoming my authentic self, embracing complexities, and leaving a positive mark on the world. This isn't just about healing – it's about discovering who I can be.

Comments