What Does a Healthy Relationship Mean?

By, Lenin Silva

"Unity and Strength: A New Dawn for Gender Equality" - Lenin

The question "What does it mean to be in a healthy relationship?" has two essential parts: how we relate to ourselves and how we relate to others.

Historically, women were often denied the status of full personhood. Many relationships focused on ownership and power rather than authentic love. While examples of true love exist throughout history, widespread recognition of women's rights and societal participation is relatively recent, particularly in the United States. This progress began within the last century, but there's still much work to be done globally.

As a member of the opposite sex, how can I advocate for women's empowerment and break this harmful cycle? Just as the legacy of slavery manifests in racism, society still bears the consequences of women's oppression. Men have a responsibility to acknowledge the historical silencing of women's voices and actively work to change this injustice.

Today, I reflect on my own behavior towards the women in my life. Could I have treated them with greater respect and kindness?

We share this planet, and it's on all of us to ensure justice. If I have a daughter, I want her to be a fearless leader and an example of empowerment for women and men alike. When those with power have an obligation to fight injustice, inaction is complicity. Therefore, I commit to being an ally for all women who want their voices heard.

The ability to truly listen to others depends on our capacity to listen to ourselves. I challenge everyone to honestly ask themselves: Is this the kind of world I want to live in? Is this the type of society I want to help create for future generations? 

Comments